Friday, August 28, 2009

Left lane is for matching speed with right lane

Problem:
In my home town they recently (3-4 years ago) changed the speed limits on most of the major 4-lane roads to 40 mph from 35 . Driving on these roads might lead you to suspect that it was actually changed to 37. It doesn't matter so much that someone wants to go under the limit (when I would possibly want to go over) because there are two lanes, so they can just merge right and, if they so desire, flip me off as I go by them. (loudly as I, like most of my roommates in fact, haven't fixed my muffler) However, as the title might suggest, there is some sort of ideology that suggests that both lanes are for going slow.

Maybe that girl whose cell phone conversation is hindering her already inadequate driving skills is worth staring at, and so the driver of the suburban in front of me with the 19" rims can't drag his eyes off of her, or his car in front of her.

Maybe grandma doesn't quite feel comfortable with that whole slower-traffic-keep-right thing.
Maybe the guy in front of me saw a cop a few miles back and has permanently lowered his speed, "Just in case."

Whatever the case is, the left lane is for faster cars people.

Solution:
I don't expect people to ever become better drivers. Since this isn't going to happen, we'll just need to change the rules for the rest of us. To start with, let us pass in the suicide lane. Or maybe just raise the speed limits to 43. After all, that wouldn't result in anybody going over 40 anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment